Traditional Chinese Medicine Properties: Warming thermal nature. Traditionally, white vegetables are used to support the lungs, green to support the liver, yellow to support the stomach, and red to support the heart.
This an easy way to make all kinds of vegetables. You can use our Fertile Ground or Circulate spice blends or simply salt and pepper. The key is cut all the veggies to roughly the same thickness; 1/4 inch-thick. You can mix beet batons, turnips half-circles, parsnip or carrot coins, and Delicata squash crescents all on the same sheet pan. The shape doesn’t matter, as long they’re all the same thickness they will cook at close enough to the same speed. I like to make this as a side dish to any kind of meat, fish, or keep it vegetarian and just smother it in mushroom gravy. You can also make large amounts and use the leftovers in dishes like soups and stews, the roasted veggies will keep 4-5 days in the fridge.
- Enough veggies to cover one sheet pan, cut 1/4” thick.
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp spice blend (Fertile Ground or Circulate) or salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut veggies so they are 1/4” thick in at least one dimension.
- Pile veggies onto center of sheet pan.
- Pour olive oil over veggies.
- Sprinkle spice blend over veggies.
- Mix around with you hands until the veggies are evenly coated in oil and spices.
- Spread veggies into an even layer on sheet pan, try to avoid overlap.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.