Traditional Chinese Medicine Properties: Cacao strengthens kidney Yang and boosts Qi, while providing the body with vital minerals such as magnesium, iron and potassium. The bitter taste nourishes the heart and brings happiness. In its sweetened form, chocolate nourishes the spleen, quells worry, and promotes calmness and well-being.
Lavender is known for its calming and relaxing properties. It has been traditionally used for alleviating insomnia, anxiety, depression, restlessness, and stress. Most people like chocolates. Making them yourself and knowing exactly what’s in them can make enjoying them later that much more satisfying.
These chocolates are one of the easiest things I’ve ever made. For maximum nutritional benefit, I went with raw cacao, and unrefined coconut oil. I used a silicon ice cube tray but a sheet pan or casserole dish lined with parchment would work well too. I like to eat one of these chocolates right before bed so I flavored them with lavender and used our infused honey to help me drift away to dreamland. If you are sensitive to the naturally occurring mild stimulant found in cacao, you can indulge earlier in the day and feel great about it!
Prep Time 5 minutes.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil measured as liquid
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons honey, more if you like sweeter chocolate ( I used our Harmony Honey to make these chocolates super blissful)
- 1/2 tsp Lavender extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 1/2 roasted almond or pistachio pieces
- Melt coconut oil in a sauce pan over heat over medium-low heat.
- Add honey and whisk until uniformly combined with the coconut oil.
- Add in cacao powder slowly while whisking vigorously and until combined. Make sure all lumps are gone.
- Remove from heat and stir in any additions.
- Once smooth, pour into silicon molds or into a parchment-lined tray or pan and place in the freezer for at least an hour to harden.
- Remove from molds and store in the fridge or freezer. They will melt at room temperature because of the coconut oil.